Friday, March 29, 2013

Leach the Leprechaun

A couple weeks ago I had an epiphany!  The night before St. Patrick's Day I was talking to my good friend about the holidays and the topic of traditions.  We talked about St. Patty's Day specifically and the things we weren't doing to celebrate the holiday.

After talking about this and that and how fun certain traditions were as kids or what other family members were doing in their homes, I got home and stuck my foot down.  I thought, "Dang it, Kiya,   you are not going to deprive your kids of memories because you procrastinate or lack motivation to celebrate any and EVERY holiday- even St. Patty's Day!"

I've noticed too many times in my life that I will pass up opportunities, shrug things off like they're nothing special,  or be too lazy to be "excited" about the small things.  But, I've finally come to realize (and I know it's because I am a slow learner) that celebrating the little things brings zest to life and teaches us (and hopefully our kids) to have an excited attitude for the small and simple things.  Looking forward to little surprises and making sweet memories will bring our families closer and remind us why we need to be grateful for life.

After proclaiming to celebrate St. Patty's, I decided I needed to do a little research, because quite honestly I didn't know much about St. Patrick and why we feel the need to wear green and catch leprechauns on this special day.  And then for the next couple hours I jumped up and pulled together a little surprise for the kiddos.  I'm really excited for next year, because I think we will have to start making Leprechaun traps.

Like I said, totally thrown together last minute, which gave me no time for rough drafts! This was a little note left behind by our little leprechaun friend named "Leach."


According to online sources, leprachauns like to prank...I think I always knew this but I didn't know that they are Irish fairies who collect coins and hide them in hidden pots of gold at the end of the rainbow.  I always thought they were trying to find gold at the end of rainbows not putting it there...then again my research mainly came from wikipedia.

Leach left notes around the house.   Here, he played with the girls' green toys.


And then read all the green books in the house.




The girls thought it was hilarious that Rapunzel was holding a green candle. "Silly Leprechaun!" Sailor said.


Did you know Leprechauns like to mend shoes?  I didn't. Again, thank you wikipedia.  Leach didn't actually "mend" the girls' church shoes, but he did take a rag to them and washed the months worth of dirt from them.





The green milk was another favorite prank.  Sailor was amazed!



Chase was able to record their reactions as they walked through the house. We all wore plenty of green to church and then had a lovely GREEN dinner at a friends' house.  I am so grateful for the little lesson I learned this past month, because it really is the small and simple that bring us joy!

3 comments:

  1. This is sooo cute! You are such a fantastic mom, Kiya! I love reading about your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How FUN!! I can't wait till August is old enough to understand and celebrate holidays! I bet it was so funny to watch their reactions! So where is this video and why isn't it posted on here!!!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What awesome parents! Your girls will cherish the memories you guys create with them. Amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete